Monday, January 30, 2012

Chapter 1.2


A couple of nights later, I took off for the library to read up on inventions others had made in hopes they could inspire me. While scanning the pages covering a possible approach to a time machine, I feel the couch sink on my left. Glancing up, I jerk in surprise as Drake opens his own book to do some research.

"Do you normally take to stalking girls you've just met?" I jest as I recover from my initial shock.

"Just the beautiful, intelligent ones," he smiles, returning to his book.


After finding the information he needed, Drake heads to put his book back on the shelf. As I saunter over to return my own book, he invites me to the local sports bar promising a drink and a dance. Not one to turn down such an opportunity I accept and we head over.


With the drinks done with, we tear up the dance floor a little less reservedly since there are no other patrons to see my ridiculously bad moves. Drake isn't so bad himself, and I find us getting closer and closer by the minute. What did I do for the Watcher to give me a chance with such a good looking guy?


"You're a doctor then?" I say, as we take a break from the dance floor, "Ray's mom, Abbey thought about going into that before joining the local forensics team."

"I hope to be one someday, but at this point I'm a paramedic. I'm still saving lives which is what I signed on for, but not being a grunt would be nice too," he replies, forcing a laugh before diving into his reasoning, "After my sister, Bellatina passed and left her daughter, Ellymae to me, I decided to make saving others my life's work." 


"Enough of that though," he finishes, taking my hand, "I really like you, Ary but it's not fair for you to judge me by myself. My niece is the biggest part of my life and if you and I decide to make this serious, she'll have to approve first."

"I've never really thought about having children before," I say as I calculate the rest of my response, "I admire that you'd put her opinion before your own though. I agree, I should have the chance to get to know her too if she is going to be a part of this."


"Are you my new Auntie?" the little redhead asks me as soon as I approach her before rambling on, "My Uncle says that my Mommy was real pretty, and you're real pretty too, so that should mean you're my Auntie! Right?" she says, suddenly nervous.


As I struggle to deal with the girl's energy and rash assumption, I begin to like her, "I'm not you're Auntie, but I could be in the future if you'd like me to be. I like your Uncle very, very much and I hope to get to know you better too."

"Well I hope you'll be my Auntie," she says uneasily, "but I have to do my homework, can we play later?"

"Of course we can sweetie," I respond, seeing Drake has finished changing out of his work attire.


"Ellymae is just the cutest little girl," I whisper to Drake, "She's just a ball of energy!"

"You don't even know the half of it. I get tired out from her easily before I even go to work!"


"Uncle Drake?" her little voice interrupts our gossip session, "I forgot that Cleora invited me to sleepover tonight, can I go, please?!"

"Since you've finished your homework, then you may. I'll stop by next door in the morning to make sure you're ready to go to school, okay?"

"Okay!" she agrees, rushing off to pack her bag.


Once she's gone, Drake steps a tad closer to me and reaches out as if to embrace me, but falters at the last moment and awkwardly brushes his hand down my arm.

"Listen, I know it's unfair for you to have to win both of our affections. If you'd rather pass us by, then here's your chance. I'd rather end it now than after we get in too deep," he sighs, turning around and walking away to hide his emotions.


I give him a moment of privacy in order to gather himself before following him over. When he turns around, I lightly caress his face while imagining what it would be like to walk out now.


As the gap between us closes, I know I'd regret leaving him for the rest of my life. I'd always wonder if we would have worked out.


To convey my meaning, I lean forwards and our lips lock. After a moment we both pull away, not looking away from each other for even a second.

"I could never imagine leaving someone so genuine and handsome like you; I'd be crazy too," I whisper huskily. I've never felt such a pull to a man before; the feeling is incredible and I want more.


Once again, we embrace in what feels like a never ending kiss. Unable to control ourselves, we slowly stumble to the bedroom without breaking contact.


Only right before we consummate our relationship do we break for air, acknowledging the desire in one another's eyes. For the rest of the night, we alternate between taking short naps and making love; both not wanting the night to ever end.


In the morning, we rise early so Drake can drive Ellymae to school. We pause half way through getting dressed, neither wanting to leave.


"I'm sure Raydenne must be wondering where I am," I giggle ashamedly, "She's normally the one staying out all night."

"At least you're with a good man," he winks in return.

Before I have a chance to crack a joke about his ego, he pulls me in for one last kiss. We finish getting dressed and head on our separate ways, promising to see each other tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Goodness, muscles...muscles everywhere! Ary and Drake make a great couple and Ellymae is adorable. I love her red hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're such a cute couple and Drake looks like such a good guy... but then I look at your rolls and it makes me sad. I don't want anything to happen to end their relationship : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I have missed this chapter! Cool! I love Drake :D he looks very very good!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza, now that's a hunky paramedic!! Elly seems like a cute and smart girl.

    I try not to look at rolls beforehand, so now I'm all nervous from Cece's comment. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback on my legacy! It makes me smile :)