Friday, January 27, 2012

Chapter 1.1


I had broken a cardinal rule, "Never leave a woman alone in a sketchy bar," and now I was paying the price. Not only had my sister stayed out the rest of the night, she still wasn't home and it was the afternoon. Normally when she sleeps around, she sneaks out and gets home sometime in the middle of the night, but today feels different. The bartender had lost interest before I left the dive, and no one else had been at the bar, so who could she be with? The sheer amount of worry lodging in my heart aches with every passing moment. Even working on my new project isn't helping. What if she was kidnapped? Or ended up in the hospital?


As my stress is about to reach its breaking point, the sounds of a car entering our residential community pique my interest. Whipping around, I cross my fingers hoping it's not the police dragging my sister's ass home once again. It's not, and I let out a frustrated sigh at the unrecognizable car. When it slows to a stop right in front of our house, however; my worries dissipate. So Raydenne found a guy to spend the night with who isn't a loser? This is an interesting development.


Loping over to the car, as to give the impression that I wasn't worried sick all morning, I pull on a forced grin and greet my sister in a tone as fake as my smile. Turning to thank the man getting out of the drivers seat, I almost choke on my words as my eyes fly wide.


Before I can even finish a thought about how attractive this man is, he interrupts my greeting, "I know this may look awkward, but it's not what you think."

"And how do you know what I think? Surely it is as it seems. It's always the same story," I reply sarcastically.

"Listen," he says, checking to see if Raydenne is out of hearing range, "I've heard of your sister's... reputation, but when I saw her stumbling around downtown by herself, I couldn't just leave her, you know?"


"So you picked her up, took her back to your place, and then proceeded to take advantage of her. Since her reputation speaks for herself then it wouldn't be rape, because if she was more sober she'd be doing it anyway--"

"Please," he says, interrupting me for the second time, "Just hear me out."

Rolling my eyes, I concede and prepare for his elaborate story on how he didn't actually fuck my sister. I'd heard this before, too. Once they see me, they try to cover up their escapade with Ray in hopes they'll "get me" as well. I don't understand how so many guys can fantasize about bedding sets of sisters.


"As I was saying," he says, running his fingers through his hair out of slight frustration, "I couldn't leave her, so I picked her up and took her to my place for the night. My niece lives with me and I would never, ever, set such a poor example for her."

"You expect me to believe that," I reply as more of a statement than a question.

"Call my niece and find out the truth for yourself then."

"Fine," I respond with a sigh, "It's getting late, thanks for bringing her home safely...?"

"It's Drake, and you're welcome...?"

"Arycella."


"Right. Maybe I'll see you around then, Ary," he replies with a wave before hopping back into his car.

As I watch him drive away, I let out a burst of air I feel like I've been holding for years. I haven't felt that giddy over a man since... well, ever? I'm the practical sister who doesn't believe in true love and happily ever after. My relationship with Mama Esse and Mama Abbey hadn't exactly helped out either. While they do love each other, having to deal with the circumstances surrounding our births had cast a shadow on us in their eyes. They love Ray and I dearly, but we aren't theirs like Sabelyn is.


Casting off the jealousy directed at our younger sibling, I walk back to my inventing table. Ten minutes later I realize I haven't been doing anything, just zombie-ing out, daydreaming of Drake. Realizing he had hinted at wanting to see me again, I do a little happy dance before heading up to bed.


After being cast some knowing glances from Ray, I tuck in for the night, looking forward to dreaming.

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, well, I bid you a massive succes Drake, in trying to get Ary to trust you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drake is yummy. =] Sorry it had to be said. I'm interested in where that's going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica.

    Drake = YUM. Go for it Ary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those muscles. I'm surprised Drake's shirt didn't rip from the sheer size of 'em.

    Well, well, well. Love is already on the horizon for Ary (luck girl!). I hope everything works out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drake's not bad looking... and he's certainly well built...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, seems Drake has already found himself a fan base. Well, in that case, sign me up too!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback on my legacy! It makes me smile :)